Case Study 2: Multi-Campus Infrastructure Refresh – LAN, WAN and WLAN
An enterprise customer wanted to refresh their existing network infrastructure by installing new equipment and connectivity. Main business goals of the network refresh were: 1) Improved connectivity and performance 2) Enriched employee experience with communications 3) Achieve scale and network efficiency with three connections per user (PC, phone and tablet) and 4) Rationalization for the organization.
The project spread across multiple corporate locations and presented many challenges:
- Complexity and scale of the network infrastructure
- Equipment and vendor selection to optimize cost/efficiency factor
- Network design must meet the performance, security, and high-availability criteria
- Seamless network infrastructure refresh without disrupting business operations
- Meet application performance and employee experience for both wired and wireless users
Nivid’s solution included strategy and planning based onsite assessment and surveys, followed by design, implementation, solution testing, and deployment.
- Assess the small to large scale solutions (mainly from Cisco and Aruba) those already existed across various campuses of the enterprise.
- Engage with the Cisco Services team to upgrade/refresh the Cisco-based core/distribution and access routing/switching infrastructure.
- Devise a migration plan for from Aruba to Cisco WLAN technology
Design & Implementation
- RF Survey for the various campus sites with support from AirMagnet
- For large campus sites, the new infrastructure was designed using Cisco ASR9006s aggregation services routers (x8), Cisco 4506E switches (x27), Cisco Catalyst 4500-X series switches (x4), Cisco Catalyst 3850 converged wired-wireless switches (x28), Cisco 8510 Wireless Controllers (x4)
- To implement agile and uninterrupted wireless coverage, AP maps were designed with the support of a cable vendor. More than 265 3702i APs were installed and labeled.
- Reliability, security, and availability was ensured with WAN turn-up, onsite staging of upgrades, and cutover testing
- Strong handover to operations and support by conducting adequate end-to-end solution and performance validations.
- User documentation was delivered for multi-site campuses for seamless operations
- Successfully migrated approximately 6000 workstation endpoints and the new wireless infrastructure on time and within budget
- Cost, efficiency and performance gains from this refresh resulted in Nivid delivering more international and domestic migration projects for that enterprise customer subsequently.