Combining IoT and vehicle Telematics data to simplify your fleet operations
Nivid Technologies. Case study
Fleet intensive industries across the globe are embracing technology advancements to handle their key challenge areas that revolve around 3 major factors: Vehicle, Driver and Fuel. These factors play a major role in effective business management and drive cost efficiency in fleet operations.
A research study found the global Smart Fleet management market with an estimated size of USD $525 Billion in 2019 is expected to reach $900 Billion by 2026, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8% from 2019 to 2027.
Our client provides construction services to critical sectors like energy, petrochemicals, and infrastructure. In the power generation sector, their services cover almost every segment, including erection, testing, commissioning of the boiler, turbine, generator (BTG), and balance of plant (BoP), and all other aspects of operations and maintenance related civil works.
Our client, a forward-thinking organization and early adaptor of technology, engaged us to architect a solution to address their business challenges in Fleet operations. Construction industry fleet operations are different from other industries. In addition to fleet operations, tracking and tracing of assets that are fitted in the trucks also holds equal importance. During the discovery stage, we identified our clients’ key business challenges that had direct business and cost implications:
- Fleet managers time is consumed in tracking vehicles and equipment because of non-availability of a real-time tracking system.
- Fuel expenses did not correlate with actual trip distance.
- Reduced Fleet lifetime, because of missing periodic vehicle maintenance schedule.
- Lack of vehicle data and analytical capabilities to make business decisions.
We implemented our flagship platform N-Smart’s Smart Fleet management, a modular, flexible, and scalable solution providing a single pane view for an end-to-end visibility of fleet operations. Our solution combines the power of IoT and Telematics to collect real-time vehicle data feed, that is consolidated and analyzed over an AI power cloud application, providing greater visibility and efficiency of fleet operations.
N-Smart’s Smart Fleet management turns data from a myriad of sources into useful, contextual information for Fleet managers to act upon quickly and effectively. N-Smart comes with operational dashboards, complex event processing and integration capabilities (sensors, 3rd party hardware, BLE tags, live maps) that never lets your fleet out of sight.
N-Smart’s feature-rich Smart Fleet management helped our client improve scheduling and tracking using real-time visibility into vehicle locations and asset conditions. Nivid’s Smart Fleet management solution addressed the challenges by providing a wide range of features to our client that includes:
- Location data integrated with highly accurate maps.
- Spatial clustering for an organized view of entire fleet to reduce fleet manager’s workload.
- Accurately estimate departures and arrivals, thereby reducing idle time.
IoT and Telemetry
- Sensor based detection of bulk reduction of fuel from the tank and reporting in real-time.
- Analysis of driving pattern, helps in profiling and training drivers, thereby improving vehicle health, reduce fuel consumption and increase Safety and compliance.
- RF enabled tags for tracking construction equipment.
- Mapping with specific truck for traceability.
- Verification of equipment availability at every trip closure to prevent loss of equipment.
- Truck allocation based on route, size, height, and weight to avoid breakdowns and ensure on-time availability at site.
- Avoid vehicle idling with real-time traffic updates.
- Alerts on Vehicle maintenance schedules.
- Continuous monitoring of vehicle health to detect vehicle faults to avoid huge repair costs.
- Warranty and Maintenance schedule automation for compliant and green fleet.
- AI based data analytics, delivering deep insights on Vehicle health, Driver performance and Fuel consumption to take informed business decisions for optimized fleet operations.
- Trip wise fuel consumption analysis.
We faced challenges while implementing the solution that includes harsh operating conditions and managing data volume. Given the industry nature, vehicles ply between raw material stocking points to construction site, posing a challenge in selection of tags to be applied on the outdoor equipment. We used BLE tags for durability and long-standing battery time to overcome this challenge. Next was the data volume received from sensors and telemetry data. We managed this by data optimization and data classification to deliver the required data on demand to keep high system performance.
Improve savings in operational costs
Advanced analytics for real-time visibility of Fleet operations
Lower fleet maintenance and optimize fuel consumption
Connect with us
Nivid’s Smart Fleet management solution powered by the N-Smart platform is engineered to improve your fleet’s operational efficiency, road safety, and cost-savings. For more information about the platform, contact our team of experts.